Y Capel has been under Stange & Co’s ownership since the 1970s when after falling attendances the chapel fell out of use. It formed part of several development ideas over the years, but none ever seemed to get off the ground until now. Through the complete refurbishment of our neighbouring property the Erskine Arms in 2017, the success and popularity that the rooms have enjoyed there, gave us the confidence to tackle the slightly more challenging prospect of converting our rather derelict and neglected chapel.
There have been many hurdles and bridges to cross to develop the Baptist chapel, before we could even begin the restoration, we had to tackle rampant dry rot, serious water ingress, infestations, subsidence, party wall agreements, listed building and planning consent and worse. But a patient and some would say fool-hardy local contractor E&H Griffith & Sons has worked closely bringing this iconic and beautiful building back to life.
Food & Drink
There are some fantastic places to eat out in Conwy with a wide variety of cuisines to choose from. Whilst you could argue we’re slightly biased our sister property, The Erskine Arms, which sits just 15 metres down the road serves a fantastic menu of homemade British food along with a great selection of beers, wines and soft drinks. However, if you wish to dine there then we do recommend booking a table as it does get busy (book ONLINE, call 01492 593 535 or just pop in).
Our accommodation has free WIFI throughout.
We have a limited number of parking spaces outside of Y Capel. These are allocated on a first come first serve basis. We insist that guests only park one vehicle in our car park.
Due to the age and grade II listed nature of the building, we apologise but access is somewhat limited.
Bethesda Baptist Chapel was founded in 1846 to service those wishing to attend a non-conformist place of worship and was an actively used congregational chapel until the late 1970s when it fell out of use due to social change and dwindling numbers attending services. The chapel remained untouched until our refurbishment and conversion in 2019.
The chapel is a grade II listed building due to its special architectural interest as one of the few surviving town-centre chapel buildings, well preserved and of definite 19th century character with retention of original detail. When the chapel was originally built in the mid 19th century it would have been quite simple and austere in appearance. Then some 30 years later, probably inspired by the movement of the time ‘The Victorian Restoration’, in 1875 the chapel received a remodelling and renovation and the addition of ornamentation to the front of the chapel in a Lombardic/Italian style. The remodelling being noted on the façade by the inscription of the date AD 1875. This inscription is accompanied along with the words ‘Addoldy y Bedyddwyr’ on the front of the building roughly translating to ‘Baptist place of worship’.